Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Too young for this

I have heard many times this past week "You are too young for this." They are referring to my recently fractured pelvis. I will be 29 in 2 days and shouldn't really have fractured my pelvis from falling on the side walk (twice in 10 days, freak accidents, I swear). If I was 80 then maybe. If I was a professional athlete like a soccer player, then maybe. But me? No, too young.

This last week I felt like I have been doing nothing, which is a good thing for healing. The next couple months of recovery, therapy, and figuring out why this happened are going to be tough. Lucky for me I have a supportive and helpful family, a great primary doctor, and work for a great company.

Not only is this taxing on me physically but also mentally. During the day I don't have many people to talk to, when I am used to talking to people all day at work. I like being active and doing things around my house and now I can't. I have to use a walker to get around which it great in crowds because people instantly move out of the way. However, my hands are sore from the walker and I am still nervous about falling again.

I think my therapy sessions for bipolar stuff will probably be more frequent then what they were just to be on the safe side. On a very happy and exciting note I am starting my very last class and I graduate on May 4th with my bachelor's in Healthcare Admin. Woohoo! I think I will be posting more often now that I am doing nothing but healing.

1 comment:

  1. I was in a motorcycle accident when I was 24 and fractured my pelvis in 3 spots. that was 17 years ago. Its challenging and sounds like you are in good spirits. I work for home so if you need to talk to someone just let me know - happy to connect.
    I was also diagnosed with BP when I was 27 - 13 years ago. We have been deal with some cards that some people just don't know what to do with - I'm inspired by your mission to stamp out stigma. Good for you. We need lots of woman like yourself. Brave, willing and capable! Thank you for your leadership in this area.
    All the best.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete